The one that got away--the Vicomte de Chagny

I finally got to watch The Phantom of the Opera, after years of obsessing about it and pretending I'm Christine. However, that is not the point of this blog post. I have, for the most obvious reasons, fallen in love with Raoul. Raoul, the Vicomte de Chagny! I never thought I'd like him, given how I've always been rooting for the Phantom to end up with the girl, but Anthony Downing did such an amazing job that he had me at "CAN IT BE, CAN IT BE CHRISTINE?"

Bravo, Mr. Downing!


I mean, look at that Prince Charming face! The movie-version Raoul was such a wimp in comparison to Anthony Downing. He was so dreamy and romantic. He really did justice to the role. But all shallowness aside, Anthony Downing really managed to deliver an awesome job as Raoul. I never really liked the character, but he made me fall for him. I would normally root for Phantom but when I watched, I kept rooting for Raoul to win Christine. Anthony Downing was the perfect gentleman. He's the kind of guy you'd want by your side, protecting you always. It DOES help that he has such a charming and endearing face. 

In fact, I crushed on him so hard that I even made my account public and stalked him on Twitter, posting random tweets for him. (NO HE DID NOT REPLY). I normally don't have celebrity crushes, but he was my only exception. I'm still hopelessly hoping I'd run into him one day, preferably dressed as the Vicomte de Chagny.


Raoul photos from here

1 comment:

  1. I saw the show in 2015-12-31, his performance is really perfect!

    ReplyDelete