Beso Cucina Vinoteka

Pardon my ignorance, but up to the day when Jake and I had a lunch date at Beso, I always thought tapas meant tapa--as in, beef tapa. I've been weirded out by people who liked to hang out at wine and tapas bars and kept thinking: Why would anyone drink wine with tapa? So yes, Jake had a good laugh when I learned something new that day as soon as I laid eyes on the menu and saw the tapas selection. For the equally ignorant, tapas are appetizers or small side dishes usually served with wine or drinks.


We actually went here thanks to Deal Grocer coupons gifted to Jake from his Tito Carlo and Tita Bernz. The timing was perfect because we were looking to try out the new restaurants at Bonifacio High Street Central. (I almost forgot to blog about Nolita and our so-so moment at Slice.) But back to Beso, the deal included a three-course set of appetizers, main course, and dessert. Upon seeing the sister companies, I knew we were in good hands because we love the food at Draft.


For starters, they served grilled sardines sprinkled with rock salt, lemon, and parsley. I want to ask my mom to re-create this dish at home since it's perfect merienda food. I can imagine this dish would be perfect with wine or cocktails.


Next, we had the spiced pork meatballs in tomato sauce. We particularly liked this dish for the paprika and coriander flavors. It was a nice twist to an otherwise common dish.


One of my favorites: the ox tail and white bean fabada on fideo and olive oil. There was something so tasty about this pasta that I want to go back and order it again. I can't put my finger on it but I was definitely impressed. 


Jake and I also ordered an additional dish which wasn't part of the deal set: the Beso paella. Hands down, this was one of the best-tasting paellas I've had. It was generously filled with seafood and Jake and I had to fight for the chorizos. We're definitely heading back for this! Too good to forget and definitely worth the price!


The deal also included Crema Catalana or their version of creme brulee. Nothing note-worthy, but an otherwise great end to a satisfying lunch date. We were too full by then, and I had Sonja's cupcakes in mind for a proper dessert.


Can't wait for our next Beso date! I'm looking forward to ordering wine with our tapas next time!

0 comments:

Post a Comment