Spanish night at Calderon Cocina Tapas Y Bebidas

This is a long overdue post about our post Valentine's dinner at Calderon. Still on a paella high from Beso, Jake and I decided to give this quaint Spanish restaurant a try since it's located near his house right along the alley where Tori Box and La Creperie are located. I really love Little Baguio.


Calderon's a cozy little place perfect for intimate dates. I also appreciated how the owners were very hands-on, right from the table reservations to checking if guests loved the food.

For starters, Jake and I ordered the Bandeja de Jamon, Chorizo y Quezo with a carafe of sangria. It was a plateful of ham, chorizo, and cheese which went perfectly with the sangria. I suppose we were too hungry and felt that the serving was bitin. Between the two of us, the meat and cheese bandeja was gone in a couple of minutes.


We also tried their highly recommended Paella Negra which you have to order at least half an hour before arriving (I called ahead). I'm very fond of adobong pusit, and this version of paella was heaven for me. Of course, Beso will still be our benchmark for the best paella but I wouldn't mind going back to Calderon just for this dish. The rice was perfectly cooked and had generous servings of seafood.


A word of warning, though: don't try this on a first date! The black ink seeps through the teeth but provides plenty of comedy for photos.


Or in Jake's case, black lips are in.


We were still hungry after the bandeja and paella so we went ahead and ordered the chorito fritos for my chorizo monster. Jake loves chorizo and we both liked this sweet and salty dish. It's perfect with sangria or you can just eat it as an appetizer or a side dish to the paella.


Can't wait for another Spanish food date!


Calderon
F. Calderon Street
Little Baguio, San Juan
+623-2382264

0 comments:

Post a Comment