Underwater

I have been, for the most part of my life, perpetually afraid of the open sea. Most especially at night when my very vivid imagination does wonders for my scaredy-cat self. I hate swimming out on the beach at night and have a strong preference for higher ground when I see the waves breaking on the shore--except when I'm drunk or tipsy.

Laiya has always been the exception to this rule. I have way too memories in this place with Jake. My cheesy romantic self would never forget the night we talked and talked under the stars by the shore, we became a couple there when we were in college. Sometimes, I think I love it more than I love Boracay. Or not. Well, it depends. Anyway, yes Laiya. As I have mentioned, I've always been afraid of the open sea and everytime I swim on the beach I always have this startled look on my face thinking oh there's a jellyfish out to get me. My startled looks always come with small yelps and panicked attempts to swim nearer to the shore. Yeah, I'm a funny sight to watch.


I was beyond proud and amazed of myself when I managed to swim (at first holding on to a floating lifevest) in 15 feet, give or take, water during our last trip to Laiya. And no, jellyfish and fish that'll bite never entered my mind. I felt like a fish underwater. I only had goggles on and once I felt brave enough to ditch my life vest, I was beyond amazed to swim further out, mesmerized by the corals and the brightly colored fish. That feeling when you're underwater and you can only hear swishing sounds? I wanted to stay there forever. Maybe I was a fish in my past life. Hmmm. 



There was a balsa in the middle of the sea that I especially liked to imagine as my finish line. Actually, I never got beyond the balsa as I was still too scared to venture into deeper water. I just liked to lie there and take a breather every now and then. Mind you, there were kids half my size who were stupidly brave enough to dive into the open sea from the balsa. I never got around to work up the nerve for that one. 



At the end of the beach, where there are no more resorts, lie breath-taking rock formations. It's an amazing sight and I couldn't pass up the chance to take this shot, risking a slight chance I might slip and split my head open. Oh, the things I do for vanity.

Can't wait to hit the beach again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment