Famous old churches of Intramuros

My little cousin who lives in California just sent me a life-sized paper doll version of herself as part of a project to have your "flattened" self go on an adventure in a different place. Since Jake and I have never explored downtown Manila, we decided to head to Luneta Park and Intramuros on a whim with our little paper girl. I never really appreciated the old elegance of the place. After a quick visit, I can't wait to properly explore these places!

Here we are at Manila Cathedral. I am awed by the gothic beauty of this church. Funny how I never notice it every time we pass by Intramuros.



It's difficult not to stop by every corner and take pictures of the architecture and beauty of Old Manila while walking around Intramuros. I remember when I was little, we went on a museum tour in one of the houses here where they preserved the furniture and interior from the Spanish era. I must check it out again.

We braved the crazy traffic jam caused by the overlapping weddings at nearby San Agustin church. Yes, we would do anything to get that perfect shot.



Outside San Agustin's side door--see the detailed carvings?


San Agustin church kind of reminds me of Malabon's San Bartolome church which is around Jose Rizal's age. That is, until our crazy parish priest who's a frustrated engineer decided to "restore" it and proceeded to ruin the century-old church. San Agustin is very well-preserved and has earned its fame. This place is so popular for weddings that we were able to witness how quickly they were able to shift from one wedding to another--the place was booked!



Here's KC with the UNESCO World Heritage Site marker! Can't believe this church was built in 1607.


The oldest stone church in the Philippines! Ah, history.

wearing Forever 21 top, American Eagle denim shorts, Kickers shoes, Rayban wayfarers

I don't think they would have let me in, though. Old churches and their strict dress codes. Meh.

Oh, and we also spied a Padre Damaso-ish friar walking in the church's courtyard. I was laughing just looking at Jake and his dagger look.


0 comments:

Post a Comment