When in Boracay, eat local: Kasbah

It's unusually rainy for November and I woke up wishing I was at the beach. I also watched a Moroccan travel special last night and woke up wishing I'll have Moroccan food for lunch. Given the slim choices for Moroccan cuisine here in Manila, I'd have to satisfy my hungry belly with this post about Kasbah from our last Laboracay trip.


When in Boracay, eat local - is what I always say. Cheap guilty pleasures at Andok's are forgivable, but I always make it a point to visit the restaurants which can only be found on the island. Although Aria and Kasbah now have branches at Fort, I think there's still something to be said about eating at the original Boracay branches with a view of the sea.


Kasbah is known for its Moroccan food and colorful pillows dotting the powder white shores of Boracay in the quieter part of Station 1. Since we stayed at Residencia, we were right beside the place and didn't have to wait too long to get a free table. 

However, because we were there for the Labor Day weekend, the place was packed and service was exceptionally crappy. I was with five hungry boys on a scorching day and we were mildly pissed at having to wait too long to get our iced teas and appetizers. Thank goodness they can make a good hummus, it made up for the long wait.


Although the menu is quite pricey, the good thing is that most items are good for two to three people. Some of the boys ordered kebabs (I forgot if it was lamb or beef), while the rest of us ordered two tagine -- a slow cooked stew that comes in a colorful pot. I knew I had to order one since I just saw a Moroccan food guide on TLC before we left. 


I kind of wish the waiter left the pot lid for us to play with after he served our tagine. It would have been fun to take more pictures of the exotic-looking dish with complete props. 


Kasbah gives you the option to order a solo or for sharing tagine. We ordered one kefta tagine for sharing, which was more than enough for four people. The others ordered the solo tagine which was huge enough for two hungry boys.

Our kefta meatballs were tender and I can't even begin to describe the flavors of the stew which ranged from spicy to sweet, the kind that can only be achieved with a slow-cooking process. It was worth the loooong wait!


And look at this! What a creative way to turn an otherwise shabby washing area into something cute and pretty!


Kasbah
Station 1, Boracay
(beside Discovery Shores)

(036) 288 4790

0 comments:

Post a Comment