Turning 25 at Maria Luisa's Garden Room

Jake and I are always on the lookout for non-mainstream date places. There's something about well-kept secrets that I particularly love, especially knowing how the service and ambiance will always feel homey and personal.


For my 25th birthday, we went to Maria Luisa's Garden Room tucked inside the Makati Garden Club. We only heard about it from Jake's mom and instantly fell in love with the pictures she posted online. You have to be there to appreciate the charm and quaintness of the place where it feels like stepping inside a cozy, secret garden cafe. It's a Pinterest/Etsy dream come true.


I love the little details in every nook and corner. All the servers were also nice and attentive, given how it was a holiday and the place was nearly packed when we were there. I appreciate how they treat you like you're the only customer.

Given the menu, I couldn't decide whether it was a French or Spanish restaurant or a fusion of both. The whole menu had a European vibe to it so I'll go with that. For drinks, Jake and I enjoyed our lemon strawberry shakes which was a bit bitin since it was very refreshing that I couldn't help wanting more.


While waiting for our orders, we were given complimentary starters! Some restaurants will just send a basket of bread and butter your way for free appetizers, Maria Luisa's turns up the notch with a yummy plate of prosciutto on pumpernickel. 


Our entree was the artichoke and chorizo casserole in three cheeses served with a basket of the restaurant's signature homemade bread from their Baltazar Artisan Breads line. Jake and I loved this dish A LOT. It was cheesy, creamy, and had generous servings of chorizo. The bread was perfect for dipping into the casserole dish, in a P.G. kind of way.


While waiting for our main dish, I couldn't help but glance up occasionally at the Gatsby-inspired art deco chandelier hanging above our table. Somehow, it blends well with the feminine vibe of the place, giving it an old glamour kind of feel.


We initially ordered the filet mignon but was told later on that they ran out. Since we were already halfway into our Merlot braised oxtail main course, we had to quickly decide on an additional dish to avoid a long waiting time. This was a big mistake on our end since we chose the lamb shank that's also Merlot braised and didn't even think how it won't differ from our current dish.

I really liked the oxtail in fabada beans and (even more) chorizo. It was tender and perfectly cooked in a way that wasn't nakakaumay. The filet mignon would have complemented it well.


By the time our lamb shank in sweet beets and couscous arrived, I was already craving for another flavor. I wish we took the time to examine the menu when prompted to order a replacement dish early on. I would have gone for something seafood to counterbalance all the meaty flavors of our first two dishes. 

The lamb shank was good, though. I think Maria Luisa's Garden Room can pretty much deliver when it comes to exceptional food and service. I must make it a point to explore other items on the menu when we return (and we will!).


And honestly, there's no better place to celebrate my birthday! This place is so ME! All those years of obsessing about The Secret Garden have finally paid off, I found  the restaurant version of it!


Even the powder room entrance is perfect! It's a magic portal come to life! :-)


It's a bit hard to find the place if you don't have specific instructions. From EDSA, turn right at Ayala then turn another right towards the Urdaneta village gate. It's tucked inside Makati Garden Club and don't count on spotting any signage advertising the place. Oh, and bring loads of cash since they aren't currently accepting credit cards (and some items are quite pricey). I would recommend you make a reservation and call them in advance at +632-5527051 to secure a table, especially during peak hours.

0 comments:

Post a Comment