When in HK, eat local: Ending my 3-year fantasy at The Peak Lookout

Jake and I celebrated our seventh anniversary in Hong Kong last September. I've been meaning to write about the restaurants we've tried and new places we've seen in our go-to happy place but first, I just HAVE to share how I finally got to eat at The Peak Lookout!


Ever since I first saw that rustic straight-out-of-a-fairy tale structure three years ago, I have been constantly obsessing over the place. I even bought a magnet as pasalubong for Jake to remind him that HE HAS TO TAKE ME ON A DATE THERE. When we went for our sixth anniversary last year (yes, we know no other place but HK), the date didn't happen and I was left with another year of desperation.

On our last day for this year's trip, we finally managed to head up to The Peak to fulfill my cheesy dream. I skipped like a happy little fool from the terminal and crossed the road towards the facade to finally end my 3-year obsession.


I was like a child who finally saw Santa's workshop -- just gazing at my surroundings, soaking it all in. Three years of waiting to see the inside of a place can do that, I guess.


We went after lunch at around 3pm so we were lucky to have tables of our choice. Since I've been obsessively Googling the place (and emailing the very nice and patient concierge), I knew exactly where to sit - outside, at the corner nook with a view of the sea. 


And x marks the spot. I have no words to describe how perfect our view was, and how that moment felt so magical for me. You know how Alice (in the original movie) kept trying to squeeze herself into that tiny doorway with a view of the rose garden? This was exactly the same feeling. The Peak Lookout was my rose garden and I finally managed to enter it!




Since we were there for merienda, we only ordered desserts and lattes. I have to say, even if we didn't order from the lunch menu, the service was still impeccable and we were treated like we ordered a full-course meal. You'd expect a snooty vibe from such a nice place but the staff were all nice and friendly.

For our cakes, Jake ordered his usual New York cheesecake while I had the chocolate fondant with vanilla ice cream and honeycomb. Consistent with all reviews I've read, the menu was pricey but then again -- you're paying for the ambiance and the view.  


This was sheer perfection, though.


I am definitely coming back! I'd love to see the whole place lit up at night. Must be extra romantic!


Can you imagine this garden all lit up with fairy lights? The Peak Lookout is definitely a must-try when in Hong Kong. You'd be hard-pressed to find a restaurant with a better ambiance and view for a romantic date!


Reservations are recommended, especially for peak hours:
The Peak Lookout
121 Peak Road, The Peak
Hong Kong
(take The Peak Tram or the minibus from Central)
info@peaklookout.com.hk

0 comments:

Post a Comment