Nomnomnoming my way around El Nido


El Nido's a small, charming town with plenty of hole-in-the-wall and family-run restaurants scattered around the beach and on the narrow Calle Hama road. I always looked forward to walking up and down the beach or the main road with a breathtaking view of the taraw cliffs embracing the town while looking for a place to eat. Here are our must-try places at El Nido:

Squidos
On our first day we ate at Squidos, arguably the most popular restaurant on the island located on Calle Hama. I've read about it from several online reviews, particularly for its seafood dishes. I highly recommend the seafood pizza and capricciosa pizza. We ate here twice and I must say, they serve one of the best-tasting piƱacoladas! The French owner, Jean-Marc Lafarge, was always there to mingle with his mostly European patrons. We were the only Pinoys there and I kept wishing I knew how to speak Spanish and French since we were surrounded by them Europeans.





Lonesome Carabao Lounge
Unlike Boracay, El Nido is generally a sleepy town where nightlife exists until only midnight at the latest. We went out hankering for a meal at around 9pm and had a hard time looking for a place to eat since most establishments were already closed for the night. While walking along Calle Hama, we spied this warm-looking place with some Europeans again and decided to check it out and I was glad we did 'cause they served some mean  beef steak and sizzling sisig! Also, I spotted a Nate Archibald lookalike at the bar, plus ten points in my book!



Pukka Bar
I'm a self-confessed coffee addict and I will always, ALWAYS crave for Pukka Bar's pressed coffee! There's something about their coffee beans that I can't find anywhere else. We ate here for breakfast twice and also dined and had drinks here for late-night cocktails and beers. They have a charming beach-front terrace where you can eat with an awesome view of El Nido's Bacuit bay and Cadlao island. I think they bake their own bread since it has the soft, home-made quality. I also recommend their yummy filling omelets and crepes. However, my most favorite part about this place was the bartender who made the most perfect caipirinhas and rhum Cokes--just the right mix of alcohol to get me happily tipsy. I will always remember the breezy night we spent there drinking by the beach.










El Nido Art Cafe
Art Cafe is El Nido's only travel and souvenir shop where you can also dine on the second floor with an awesome view of the beach and the limestone mountains. We ate breakfast here on our last day and the view alone made me consider staying longer. Imagine eating omelets with homemade bread and coffee with a view of the calm water and the sun streaming through the mountains--too breathtaking. I also loved the fact that they have a mini-library and how they strategically placed wide windows even at the back so you can see the limestone cliffs wherever you're sitting.

It's located at the far end of El Nido town where the street sort of converges in a narrow dead-end before you go around the bend to the beach. There were also homey restaurants in this area and your dead-end view is the looming mountain that borders the town.







Skyline Grill and Restaurant
We were famished after our trip to the mini-Boracay secret island so when our tricyle driver suggested we try Skyline, we did not hesitate. It looks like your typical no-frills carinderia but they serve some awesome dinuguan for a turo-turo price. They also have the best view of the limestone cliffs from their rooftop. I'm too envious to think about these people waking up to that view every morning. It's not located in the main Calle Hama road and you have to turn left at some side street and follow the route going to the church. I still can't get over the beauty of the taraw cliffs embracing the whole town.





When we head back to El Nido (the sooner, the better!), I want to try some of the places we saw that looked interesting: Sea Slugs, The Alternative, La Salangane, Habibi Shisha Cafe & Restaurant, and Bacuit Grill & Bar. I can't wait to set foot on the island again. :-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment