Grown-up Vday dinner date for the mature couple that we are (not)

We're Thai food lovers, especially Jake. Every now and then we take a break from Japanese, pizza, and burgers to binge on Thai food at Jatujak--which, despite the commercialized vibe, still has the yummiest, affordable, accessible Thai food, and also, if we're in the Rockwell area, Soms.

So I was very proud of Jake when he manned up to plan our VDay dinner date and chose Thai at Silk at Serendra. It's the perfect place for a romantic, intimate dinner with its hushed ambiance, elegant interiors, and delicious food. The overhead over-sized lamps were very pretty and gave off an elegant vibe. There were huge rose bouquets at selected tables with votive candles that gave the place that romantic, warm feeling.



When we're eating Thai, we tend to overdo it and end up ordering way too many dishes for the two of us. We never learn from these fiascos and our Vday date was no exception. I have no idea how Jake managed to do it but we over-ordered for the nth time. No regrets, though, because everything was yummy and perfect.


It's not a Thai date without Tom Yum soup! Thai at Silk's Tom Yum Kung soup is one of the best we've ever tasted. We ordered the mild version (read: still spicy BKK style) and it had generous servings of prawns, lemon grass, ginger, and whatnot--I'm not about to pretend to know all the ingredients. All I know is it's the best I ever tasted with the perfect blend of sour, sweet, and spicy.


We had a mini-argument over what to get for appetizers. Jake wanted our usual spring rolls but I was leaning towards the chicken satay. But because it was Valentine's (LOL), we both agreed to compromise and ordered the Khong Waang Silk, which is the appetizer selection so we can try everything on the appetizer menu. We loved everything, especially mixing and matching the sauces. The platter included Gai Sateh (chicken satay), Paw Pla Thawt (deep fried spring rolls), Moo Ping Bai Cha Plu (grilled pork wrapped in betel leaves), and some yummy tasting soft dumplings--I forgot what it's called.


We were pretty much full just from the appetizers so we were floored when the waiter brought our bagoong rice, or more authentically called Khao Khluk Kapi, Phad Thai, and pork ribs--See Khrong Moo Yaang all in one go. 

I was looking forward to our Phad Thai with it's amazing egg netting. Isn't it the prettiest? I felt bad about having to mix it 'cause it was so nice to look at. The pork ribs were roasted to perfection and you can never go wrong with bagoong rice. We didn't get to finish all of our yummy food and, as with lunch, we had them wrapped again. Perfect for midnight snacks! I was too full by the end of our meal that my tummy was bulging prominently from my skirt--totally a wrong move to wear a skin-tight top tucked under an equally tight skirt when you're on a pig out date. We had a good laugh over that one, I was trying not to breathe the entire time afterward.



I feel so blessed to be spending another Valentine's with the Jakester. We both had a great time talking and laughing over dinner. Thank you for this date, Joaquin. I love you to bits and pieces!


wearing Topshop tube top, Forever 21 skirt, Promod multi-layered necklaces

Desserts at where-else but Sonja's with our usual suspects: Vanilla Sunshine and PB&J. This stuff never gets old, I feel like a kid every time I step inside my cupcake world.


P.S. Here's us last year for Valentine's 2010: we festooned my balcony with votive candles and fairy lights, plus ordered all our favorite food with some home-cooked meals. I still remember the warm, fuzzy feeling from that night. Flickering candle lights, slow-dancing songs, laughing over mishaps and fiascos with my home-made iced tea and Vday surprise, all the things we love to eat...always and forever, as I always say. :-)



0 comments:

Post a Comment