Jake turns 24 (but still acts like a kid)


The Jakester turned twenty four last week. I attempted to surprise him with a bed-full of balloons and his coveted Air Max Penny 1. Trust me, I had a stressful three weeks attempting to pull this stunt off--from secretly buying his shoes amidst his attempts to track me, to devising a plan to get him out of his house so I can fill his room with balloons. On the day of his actual birthday, everything went haywire and I ended up pissing him off 'cause he didn't go up to his room after my fake I'm-stranded -somewhere-in-Greenhills-please-pick-me-up call. When he got to the house, we were running so late we went straight to Kikufuji with his family for the birthday lunch. Hence, the bratty face on the car ride to Makati 'cause he saw me empty-handed and not bearing gifts. Hee.


Lunch at Kikufuji was awesome. We totally fell in love with their crunchy tuna rolls, salmon sashimi, bacon asparagus wraps, tempura, kim-chi, and really everything his mom and dad ordered. We can't wait to go back for a date and sit on the pillow mats. The place really is authentic, seeing as most of the patrons were Japanese. They even have a smoking area at the back where you can dine, Yakuza-style, while smoking in an air-conditioned room. Pretty cool. I just love walking along this part of Pasong Tamo where the authentic Japanese restaurants are located.

wearing Zara striped tee, Old Navy shorts, Kickers loafers, H&M bag, Promod layered necklace

After wine-tasting at Straits and trying on stuff at the shops, we went home early because we just heard the earthquake that devastated Japan on the news. By that time, Jake has already half-guessed I have a surprise waiting for him simply because he found it too impossible for me not to buy him what he wanted. Errrr. I loved seeing the smile on his face when he got up to his room. Priceless. Also priceless, when he threw a balloon at me when I admitted I fooled him earlier and made him go through traffic and stress just so I can set up. 

I have no idea why he loves to smell new kicks but he couldn't stop holding his Air Max Penny 1--even wore it right away. These were the shoes daw he had when he was a kid and Nike only just released it for a limited time now. I honestly have no idea what it's all about but he did call it his "holy grail" so rawr whatever makes him happy. You know what makes me happy? Chocolate Decadence from Goodies N Sweets. Mmmm. And being surrounded by balloons.


Pizza, wings, and beers with the boys came after. I love listening to Jake and his friends talk about everything and anything under the sun. Boy talk is a fascinating thing. LOL.


All in all, I think it was a pretty successful surprise! Nothing like my Hannah Montana banner with balloons along Ortigas last year (but that was fun, too.) Happy birthday, Jake! I love you!

Awesome photos courtesy of Nikki!

0 comments:

Post a Comment