It's V-day soon, God help us one and all.

Yes, it's Valentine's Day soon. God help us one and all. Every year, Jake and I find ourselves stressed out during this very lovely day because: (1) we don't like to mix with the rest of the lovesick couples in fully booked restaurants just to celebrate this overrated holiday, and (2) we always had to resort to dining in at our places--either his den or my balcony, and just order in our favorite food or attempt home-cooked meals. Trust me, trying to make home-made lemon iced tea from scratch and then having your boyfriend spill the whole pitcher you painstakingly brewed is not my idea of a romantic night. Nor is planning a lovely surprise for a gift just to see him snickering away while you were busy setting up the place because, it turns out, he already opened it behind your back. Lovely, lovely, yes? But all sarcasm aside, we actually somehow manage to look beyond the irony of our efforts and enjoy each other's company on Valentine's. Last year, it was my turn to host dinner so I festooned my balcony with fairy lights, votive candles, the works. We ordered all our yummy favorite things to eat and had a nice time eating and talking on a breezy night. V-day 2009 was Jake's turn so he set up a romantic dinner date (which actually surprised me) at his den. Every year, I always expect a bouquet of daisies or sunflowers but my boyfriend's too lazy to actually get me one. "Flowers wilt and die anyway." Eh, it's actually true so I guess I really can't complain. He does get me a huge rose every year, though. So, there you go. Hehe. Make me swoon this year, Joaquin! 

So what's the plan this year? I'm clueless. I'll leave it to my boyfriend whose favorite line every February is: "every day is Valentine's day!" so he can get away with not making a huge production out of the whole thing. I'm actually starting to agree with him on the whole overrated comment, but I'm only a girl so yes I'm still expecting my daisies.



0 comments:

Post a Comment