Maginhawa Strip Series: Kiss the Cook

Because my mom is perpetually dateless during Valentine's season, I took her out on a dinner date for a change at Kiss the Cook. We have been wanting to check it out since we pass by the place practically everyday on the way to Ateneo, and I was lucky enough to get a table for two without reservations on Valentine's night!


The place was packed! I think it's a hub for artists and creative people 'cause apart from the requisite couples, there were musicians and celebrities dining and conversing with the owner. We were seated beside a gaggle of old women who seem to be music professors from U.P. who kept chatting with us all throughout the meal. Lovely girls!


Mom and I ordered the spinach and feta cheese dumplings for appetizers. I also wanted to try the kesong puti fondue but I was sane enough to realize we can't finish both dishes.

 
This was very good, it was fried perfectly and the portions were big. However, before this came we noticed a couple of diners coming up to the receptionist to complain about how they have been waiting for an hour for their orders. Some even walked out in frustration. I guess we were pretty lucky that night and only had to wait 15 minutes for our appetizers and maybe 30 minutes for the entrees. By anyone's standards that is actually a LONG time to wait for a meal. But seeing other diners walk out and complain about waiting for over an hour, I can't really complain.

I ordered the pistachio crusted chicken with mashed potatoes. I would order this again, it's the first time I tried pistachios on chicken and it was a great combination.


Mom had the Afghan grilled chicken which was more on the curry and spice flavor. The meat was tender and I think someone who likes curry would love this.


And let's not forget the honey passion fruit juice! On our last trip to Tagaytay, mom bought a kilo of passion fruit from a road side vendor and since then I've developed a liking for the lemony squeezed juice and crispy seeds.


Frustrated diners aside, we enjoyed dinner at Kiss the Cook with the hushed ambiance and a musician named Bobby something playing jazz guitar on the background. I just wish they have anticipated the crowd especially on Valentine's because I am SURE they ruined a lot of dates with the slow service and sudden unavailability of ingredients. One couple stormed out after being told their orders were no longer available after waiting for half an hour.

I guess it's safe to say I won't be asking Jake to date me here!

0 comments:

Post a Comment