Everywhere We Eat: Japanese spots around the Metro

We both love to eat Japanese food, me and Jake. We've tried most of the Japanese places here in Manila and came name a handful of places we have yet to check out. I thought I'd compile a list of the places we like the most starting with our most favorite to least. We have long since scratched Tokyo Tokyo from our Japanese restaurant choices ever since our last meal there last last year--horrendous.

1) Izakaya Kikufuji
We ate here for Jake's birthday lunch with his family and I'm already itching to go back. The place was packed with diners and the food was probably the best I've ever tasted--Japanese wise. You know it's authentic when you're dining with mostly Japanese people.


Kikufuji has that no-fuss, no frills ambiance where they serve you great food with the freshest ingredients. There's a sushi bar/cooking station in the middle of the restaurant and you can watch Japanese chefs preparing dishes and doling out ready-to-serve sashimi and rolls for your eating pleasure. There's an eating area where you can eat while sitting on the floor with mats and that's where I plan to drag Jake when we go here on a date. They even have a smoking area at the back where you can eat, Yakuza-style, while smoking in an air-conditioned room.

I loved everything we ordered, the salmon sashimi salad, crunchy tuna rolls, bacon asparagus wraps, tempura, beef teppanyaki, and yeah just about everything actually.



Location: Little Tokyo compound along Pasong Tamo

2) Shinjuku Ramen House
Right beside Kikufuji is Shinjuku Ramen, another no-frills authentic Japanese restaurant. I've eaten here with Jake's family and can always never finish my food. Jake and I always share orders but the servings are too huge, but yummy nonetheless.


Just like Kikufuji, the diners are mostly Japanese so there's the authentic vibe going on. Jake's dad usually orders a lot of dishes and everything really is too good not to try. I recommend the ramen, Kani salad, tempura, California maki, gyoza, and their rolls.

Location: Little Tokyo compound, Pasong Tamo

3) & 4) John & Yoko and Sumo Sam
Hip, funky vibe? Check. Awesome yummy rolls? Check. I have always loved Marvin Agustin's group of restaurants from John and Yoko to Sumo Sam to Marciano's. John & Yoko does not disappoint when it comes to excellent Japanese food. Jake and I love to eat here when we want to eat rolls and our usual tempura and beef teppanyaki. I also love how they name their servers Paris, Tokyo, Milan, etc.


Sumo Sam is where we love to pig out when we're craving Japanese. My mom usually over orders here and we end up with too much food for everyone. I think it's also convenient that they have set menus for a group of 4-5 people so it's like one huge Japanese boodle. Nom nom!


Location: Greenbelt 5, Shangri-la Plaza

5) Saisaki
Too many yummy eat-all-you-can Japanese food! We only made it to two plates each before we gave up. I'll let the pictures tell the story.




Location: EDSA Connecticut


6) Omakase
Ahhh, Omakase. I love their rolls but the Jakester hates to eat here ever since our less than stellar experience at Omakase Greenhills. The beef was too dry and the rolls were so-so. The only thing I loved about Omakase was their deep-fried salmon rolls. Oh, and the fact that they have a branch at Ayala Triangle Gardens. That's enough reason to convince me to eat there again. Jake and I got a huge kick out of their waiting lounge, though. Very Zen.



Location: Greenhills Connecticut Carpark Building

Great. Now I'm all hungry and I'm starting to crave for some salmon sashimi. Rawr.

0 comments:

Post a Comment