The best of 2011


2011 was a hip-happening year for me. I can't believe I just used the term "hip-happening" but it's a pretty accurate way of summing up the last 364 days. Too many things happened that I'm thankful for and I can only hope 2012 can be as awesome. I want to keep this short and heartfelt so here's my 2011 gratitude list:

1) Rang in 2011 with family and Jake--which won't be happening tonight. I feel sad about it but I'm too chicken to head out and be the one to come over to his place or wherever this year. Have you met my neighbors? They all have death wishes every NYE and dispose firecrackers like it's the end of the world.

2) Finally gave in to the iPhone craze and bought myself an iPhone 4--I only meant to ask the guy at Globe if they have stocks already 'cause I heard about the "waiting list" and wasn't planning to buy that day. I chatted up the guard who, incidentally, was probably the first person who didn't think I'm a bitch at first sight and told me in secrecy that they do have new stocks and set me up with customer service. Tadah! Brand new phone in a snap. It's probably the best spontaneous purchase I've ever made.  

3) Discovered new restaurants and date places--Marcia's Tuscany, Romulo Cafe, Maginhawa strip restaurants, anyone?

4) Anvil Awards--Winning an Anvil Award of Excellence for our communications program was probably the best validation that I am meant to work in this field.

5) Boracay 2011 with Jake and the girls--ahh, celebrated Jake's 24th on the island and also our (and by our, I mean us girls) summer trip for 2011. Too many happy memories of Baling Hai, sunset paraw cruises with beers, drunken nights, and calamansi muffins.

6) Singapore trip with office friends/first out of country date with Jake--one of the best trips ever! 5 whole days of exploring Singapura and shopping with Mitch, Maan, and Ryan, plus Jake and the Gonzalez clan were also there on the same dates for his grandparents' anniversary celebration. We had our first out-of-the-country-together photo outside Cotton On at Orchard Road, which was probably one of my happiest memories--both for my shopping spree at Cotton On and seeing Jake hanging out outside waiting for me. Also had our Ben & Jerry's date there and I had a blast spending time with his whole Gonzalez family at Clarke Quay.

7) Laiya 2011 with office friends--Yes, Laiya will always be my happy place for Jake and me but this year, I made new happy memories there with my office buds. We had a blast snorkeling, swimming, and just lazing around the beach while on our workshop. I can't wait to head back to La Luz.

8) Bohol trip with mom, sister, and girl friends--This year, my friend Kaye and I decided to treat our mothers to an out-of-town trip and went on a 3-day Bohol vacation with our moms, my sister, and Fifi. It was an all-girls trip and I will always treasure our moments before sunset by the beautiful Panglao beach while our mothers gossiped on, the Bohol tour adventure and seeing the Chocolate Hills and other tourist spots for the first time, and also seeing DOLPHINS out on the open sea!!! Bohol also probably has the best snorkeling spot I've seen in ages. And oh, let us not forget Bohol Bee Farm's to-die-for homemade ice cream and lasagna. Heaven.

9) Starting graduate school--I finally plucked up the determination and sense of responsibility to start my post graduate studies this year. I've been putting it off the for the past year or so and I must say, I am enjoying it. Here's to getting my MA in Marketing Communications on time.

10) Boracay 2011 round two/Seeing my balikbayan cousins and uncle for the first time in 10 years--Well, my cousins are 5 & 7 but it was surreal to see my uncle ever since he left for the States ten years ago. It was probably the happiest and most complete we've been as a family. Also, I will never forget our 4-day Boracay trip where, instead of making rampa as usual, I played around with the kiddos and had a blast introducing my cousins and family to the island.

11) Too many dates with the girls--Always happy, always laughing. We even named ourselves Team Gorla and I'm lucky to be spending time with real friends.

12) El Nido--I will never forget that trip: the sunsets, the limestone cliffs embracing the town everywhere you look, the secret beaches, tipsy nights, Pukka Bar's pressed coffee, and the breathtaking islands. 

13) Turning 5 with Jake--enough said. <3 Wait, Marcia's Tuscany <3

14) Turning 23--the year I started to accept that I can no longer pretend to be a teenager. I turned twenty three with the people I love the most: Seryna and Chocolate Fire date with Jake, Cafe 1771 with family, and Friuli Trattoria with the girls who surprised me again. It never gets old. :-)

15) Re-discovering Tagaytay--Mano's Greek Tavern Hotel, Ilog Maria and Marcia's Tuscany are my new happy places and have succeeded in luring me back to Tagaytay over and over this year. I can't get enough of its secret versions of Santorini, Tuscany, and well, I really can't compare Ilog Maria to anywhere else.

16) Christmas 2011--happy day with family and Jake. I made it a point to buy presents everyone will love this year. I'm broke but I'm happy <3

..and these are just the highlights. There are the countless dates, happy moments, lucky passes, and too many blessings I've received this year. It's the little things that matter, after all. 

I'm ready for you, 2012. BE NICE TO ME!

0 comments:

Post a Comment