All things yummy and whimsy at Cafe 1771!

Cafe 1771 will always be one of my happy places for dates and celebrations. I'm a sucker for French architecture, whimsical furniture, and themed rooms. Aside from the dainty interiors, the food never disappoints.


When we last went there, we chose to sit in The Whimsy part where I requested for my favorite spot by the French windows. I always get a kick out of sitting on the hot pink suede chairs contrasting the robin's egg blue walls. 

Topshop blouse and shorts, Aerosoles wedge
For starters we had the fried squash flowers. I can munch on these all day! It sounds like a boring dish but these babies are stuffed with anchovies and kesong puti and did I mention it's deep-fried? You can't go wrong with that!


I also called ahead to reserve our ever-reliable organic chicken in potato crust. We didn't want to risk not being able to order it, as they are prone to running out of chickens by 1pm due to the popularity of this dish. I have never been able to find a close competitor for this juicy slow-baked chicken.


Since we are prone to over-ordering, we also had the Salbacho pizza with Napolitaine sauce, salami, bacon and chorizo. As usual, it was perfectly done in thin crust.


We settled for the chorizo pasta when they ran out of our favorite vegetable lasagna. I must really reserve ahead of time for our perennial faves. Jake's a chorizo lover so this was a nice alternative.


See the happy boy?


For desserts, I was hankering for their Valrhona chocolate caramel mousse cake but they only had a few cakes on the dessert menu of the day. We order the chewy lemon tart for Jake. I used to hate lemon-based desserts, but almost seven years with a lemon-squares-loving boyfriend has acquainted my taste buds to all things lemony for sweets. I loved that it wasn't too tart nor too sweet--anything more would have ruined it for me.


I decided to have the coffee pie which looked too pretty to eat. I loved the chocolate-cashew crust even though normally I have an aversion to coffee fillings. They balanced it well with the toffee and cashew tart. 


Lately, I've noticed that all my Cafe 1771 posts all feature more or less the same food. We hardly deviate from our tried and tested dishes and that's what makes it a fail-proof date place. I'd eat here everyday if I had the moolah!

Cafe 1771
El Pueblo, J. Vargas Avenue
Ortigas

0 comments:

Post a Comment