When in Baguio, eat local: So-so hot chocolate at Choco-late de Batirol

Hot chocolate is definitely my preferred drink when I can hardly feel my nose on a cold night. While in Camp John Hay, we decided to check out the highly recommended Choco-late de Batirol and braved the dark winding roads to get our hot chocolate fix. I was expecting to be blown away by the best hot chocolate evurrrr I'm gonna have in a while, I only set myself up for disappointment.


For starters, while I appreciate the location in a secluded road, I didn't like the "kubo" ambiance with KKK revolution paraphernalia. The place could have had a rustic countryside ambiance if it weren't for the  signage everywhere. Insects and mosquitoes also abound since the place is heavy in foliage. It's not exactly an idyllic location for a mosquito bait like me.


The chocolate itself is also my main disappointment. Upon watching the waitress prepare our hot chocolate (Php 95) from scratch, I was expecting a smooth, creamy, kind of tablea-ish flavor but was surprised when I tasted a peanut-heavy drink. It tasted more like a thick and creamy peanut butter drink instead of the hot chocolate I was craving.


I ordered mine with marshmallows on top, hoping for a Swiss Miss effect where it would get toasty. Wrong. The marshmallows were the cheap kind that you can buy in the grocery and didn't even blend with my drink despite futile attempts to mix it with the chocolate. I ended up scooping some of the marshmallows out so I can drink my peanut-y chocolate in peace.

Overall, I probably wouldn't make an effort to go here in the future just for their "renowned" hot chocolate. I prefer mine without the peanut flavor and texture. I did spy some bibingkas and other native goodies on their menu which would be nice for breakfast if they would serve decent coffee. 

Choco-late de Batirol
Igorot Garden, Camp John Hay
Baguio

0 comments:

Post a Comment