Opa! Greek fix at Greeka Kouzina

If Jake and I had our way, we would always eat at Cyma whenever we crave Greek cuisine. However, as we are mostly broke these days, we tend to search for alternative Greek restaurants with food at par with Cyma. Lo and behold, Greeka Kouzina opened in Little Baguio. This place is not hard to miss: it's just right around the bend in P. Guevarra coming from San Juan if you're going to Wilson.


We ate here before getting wind of the, ahem, "issue". Overall, the place was nice for dates and affordable. We both noticed the similarity of some dishes to Cyma's menu but chalked it up to being the usual, generic fare for Greek cuisine. Hey, we ain't Greek cuisine experts!


For starters, we ordered the usual: hummus! I prefer Cyma's for the taste. This was too bland for me. I liked how they were very generous with the pita bread!


We went there for lunch so the place was light and airy. My only beef with the place is that the tables are too close together. As in, the couple at the other table seemed to be eavesdropping on us because I was throwing a mini-tantrum fit when Jake refused to take my picture. Yes.


The Greeka baby back ribs was the highlight of our date! It was perfectly done in a fall-off-the-ribs tender quality. The sauce was perfect, too! I had no idea that this was standard Greek food. Is it? It was huge enough for the two of us at just P500 bucks. Solb!


We also ordered the Spanakorizo rice with spinach, mint and dill herbs, and a generous amount feta cheese. For someone on a perpetual half-rice diet, I am DYING to recreate this dish at home. Or rather, ask my mom to recreate it for me. I can eat this thing with no ulam!


If I can't have kebabs, then I always go for a Moussaka when going Greek. This was nicely done with a generous heaping of cheesy bechamel on top of the beef and eggplant. Again, the Spanakorizo rice was the perfect companion to lessen the umay factor.


The verdict? This is a recommended date place if it weren't for the originality issue surrounding the menu. We might eat here again if given the chance since it's accessible from Jake's and way cheaper than Cyma. Right, boyfriend? Haha!


Greeka Kouzina
285 P. Guevarra St.
San Juan

0 comments:

Post a Comment