Keep calm and save up!

At the start of this year, I made a resolution to cut back on my shopping sprees and impulsive tendencies to book flights. I have come to realize that, at 24, I should probably be saving more moolah if I want to be taken seriously as an "adult". I looked at my closet and saw clothes I have barely worn twice. I saw my photos of thrice (or more) a year travels just to satisfy my insatiable wanderlust. I looked at my savings account and realized that I have to give up either my dreams of independence or my shopping and travelling habits.

Credits

Short of cutting up my credit card, I needed to stop buying clothes I don't need and quit booking trips I don't really have to take. I told myself there's plenty of time for that in the future. In fact, the only thing that's keeping me sane is a promise to myself that I will travel my heart out in two years if I managed to curb my wanderlust whims.



On a bittersweet note, I'm very happy to report that my efforts to monitor my spending habits are somewhat effective. My accountant office mates have devised a surefire way for me to monitor shopping sprees. Every pay day, I would only spend the allocated amount on my "wants". They also devised an Excel sheet for my needs, which I also use along with my own Excel savings sheet on my mutual fund investments, salary savings deduction, and some expenses. Mitch even gave me a Beabi handy dandy organizer where I can stash my cash!

I'm normally a fluke when it comes to keeping new year resolutions, but I'm proud to announce that it has been TWO WHOLE MONTHS since I shopped for clothes or shoes. Mind you, it's pure torture just passing by my favorite shops. I barely spend fifteen minutes inside Zara, Topshop, or Mango in fear of relapsing. I'm also guilty of mock booking trips on airline websites at least twice a week but have never gotten around to actually confirming the flights. I'm taking it one a day at a time with small baby steps. It's not easy, but I'd like to make it work. Here's to adulthood and maturity!

0 comments:

Post a Comment