When in Baguio, eat local: The best strawberry shortcake at Vizco's

I'm a sucker for cakes. When I'm feeling particularly peckish, I become a sucker for strawberry shortcakes. I always order Dulcelin's strawberry shortcake whenever I find myself in Parvati. Mary Grace's strawberry shortcake is another regular favorite. I also made an effort to require my officemates to surprise me with one during my birthday (WHICH THEY FAILED TO ORDER). 

When we were in strawberry-filled Baguio, I researched on where I can get the best strawberry shortcake. All blogs pointed to Vizco's on Session Road. I went out of my way to call ahead and reserve three cakes (YES, THREE!) and dragged my companions all the way to the shop. I bought two as pasalubongs--you just need an air-conditioned vehicle to maintain the cake's freshness, and we bought one for our secretary's birthday.


Needless to say, I'm still dreaming about Vizco's strawberry shortcake to this day. Aside from the heapfuls of giant strawberries on top and in between layers, the cake was soft and creamy and wasn't too sweet. It had the right amount of flavor and sweetness without the umay factor. And did I mention that it was cheap? An 8-inch cake only costs Php 610 and the 6-inch size costs Php 375. Hands down, one of the best cakes I've had! You can't beat fresh ingredients!


Vizco's isn't hard to find along Session Road. It's right beside Don Henrico's and you won't miss their colorful yellow and green sign. It's a no-frills restaurant which also serves meals all day. We ate breakfast there on our last day and I really enjoyed their tapsilog. Fresh strawberry shortcakes were also on display for dine-ins. I noticed a lot of locals eating there so I guess they're already a well-known institution.


If you want to bring one home, it's best to call ahead to make sure you get a fresh one upon pick-up since they sold out quickly. I ordered my two cakes a day ahead and made sure that they gave me a freshly made batch when I picked up the cakes on the morning of our departure. The staff was very nice and accommodating. They also have other cakes on display but I was on a strawberry shortcake mission so I ignored those. They always display strawberry shortcakes when you'd rather dine-in and there's no need to reserve ahead.

In light of my Vizco's withdrawal, I'm very tempted to order Mrs. Yulo's famous strawberry shortcake and go all the way to Forbes just to get my cake fix. OR just head back to Baguio, at the very least. This is one place you shouldn't miss on a trip to the City of Pines!

Vizco's Restaurant and Cake Shop
8GF Puso ng Baguio Bldg. Session Road
(beside Don Henrico's)
+639175790962
+639209642407

0 comments:

Post a Comment