When in Baguio, eat local: Breakfast at Cafe by the Ruins


Cafe by the Ruins gave me one of the best breakfast experiences I've had, right up there with El Nido's Pukka Bar and Cafe in terms of memorable coffee and omelettes. This easy-to-find eclectic restaurant right in the heart of the town has an interesting menu with unique twists to otherwise standard dishes.


Even though it's right smack in the middle of the town proper on Chuntug Street right off Session Road, once you step inside it's an entirely different world. The place is artfully decorated in wood and teak furniture with art pieces and paintings scattered all over. It feels like you're dining in a secluded garden when inside. My only beef with the location is that there's a huge Eurotel right behind the restaurant which pretty much ruins any facade photos.


Although a tad expensive (meals range from P180-350 and above), every bite is worth the price. The real winner for me was the strong Benguet coffee that came with a meringue-like sugar candy. I like my coffee strong and with a distinct flavor. The only downside to drinking coffee in perpetually freezing Baguio is that if you don't drink it right away, you'll end up with lukewarm coffee in a matter of minutes.


I also went gaga over my Tortilla de Patatas (P180) omelette which was sheer genius. Who would have thought to fill an omelette with crispy fried potato strips? It was perfectly done and served with a freshly baked bun. I barely managed to finish my order due to the huge serving. Definitely a great way to start your day! I can't wait to try the cheese omelette next time I find myself here--I'm already dreaming of carabao and Parmesan cheese!


Mitch, on the other hand, was still thinking of the longganisa I ordered the night before at Everything Nice. She ordered the Filipino Lon-si-log (P245) which, compared to my order at Everything Nice, had a generous amount of longganisang hubad cut up into cubes. She gave me a couple of pieces and I had to concede that it was a waaaay better version of the Baguio longganisa.


Dana ordered the Fisherman's Breakfast (P245) which came with a huge piece of daing na dalag, with sinangag and ensalada. I'm not that fond of dalag and would prefer bangus when it comes to daing.


All breakfast sets come with coffee or tea. I especially liked their shot glasses where they put the cream or honey for both.


Next time, I'm itching to order other items on the menu for brekky. I can't wait to try their champorado with dilis, ensaymada de los ilustrados with hot chocolate, and bibingcakes! Perfect place for an authentic Baguio breakfast experience!


Cafe by the Ruins
23 Chuntug Street, Baguio
(+074) 442 4010

0 comments:

Post a Comment